Saturday 31 May 2014

England

2014-04-22: My tour officially starts today. Before I leave, I want to convey my thanks and gratitude to Les, my big sister, for allowing me to stay, and putting up with me, for the past 3 months. I left Trentham at about 9:30 and set out towards Meir on the road towards Leek. It rained the whole way. After Leek, towards Buxton, I hit one of the steepest climb I've ridden up. When I say hit, I mean hit, as visibility was non-existant and I could not see it coming. I then passed Flash, the highest village in England. Unfortunately, I could not see what should be spectacular views because of the cloud cover and poor visibility. I stopped at Buxton to get a map of Derbyshire. I travelled along the A6 past Chapel-en-le-Frith and onto Glassop, where I stayed the night next to some stinky llamas. At Glossop, I asked about a campsite at a local store and numerous people rallied around to assist me - I found this was the case more offen than not.
Total miles travelled: 43.88 Feet climbed: 4197


2014-04-23: I left Glassop early, electing not to have a very expensive breakfast, and headed off towards Yorkshire. I turned onto the A6024, which is part of the 2nd stage of the Tour, and went up and over this massive hill and into Holmfirth. Here, I stopped at the Corn Loft House and had a magnificent breakfast. If anyone is in Holmfirth, I highly recommend it. I then travelled through Huddersfield and onto Bradford. Here, while going up a hill, I met this kind gentleman, whose name I cant recall, who offered to refill my water bottles. He came back with full waterbottles and some snacks.Thank you. I went through Yeadon and into the distrcit of Harrowgate. For over three hours, I searched for a campsite that would take tents - I wonder if this is why the name! I eventually found the Kingfisher Caravan Park in Knaresborough, thanks to the lovely lady on duty at the Knaresborough Police station. As it was late, and there was no open restaurant facilities at the site, I had the snacks given to me at Bradford for supper. Although it rained the whole night, I had a wonderful nights sleep, only to be awoken by the sound of birds and rabbits playing outside my tent.
Miles travelled today: 58.92; Total miles since start: 102.8; Feet climbed: 5178

2014-04-24: I left Knaresborough rather late at 10:30 to try and get my tent to dry. I made my way to the A168 and travelled north. Just after reaching the A168, I stopped at Angela's for breakfast. At Dishforth, I asked at the military base for directions. The chap on guard duty told me that he had done active service in Afghanistan and Iraq. Well done to the people who have actively done duty to make this world a safer place. Here the nature of the A168 changed and became very busy. Peter had suggested I take the A167 instead, thanks Peter.
I rode on the A167 through Northallerton, where I wanted something to eat. There were two tea rooms close to each other; while looking at the menu of one displayed on the door, the closed sign went up; decision made. Just past Croft-on-Tees, I passed a headon accident that had just happened; this gave me the hebby-jebbies. I followed the information centre signs in Darlington, until I was going round in a circle. I stopped at the town hall and they told me that the information office has closed a couple of years previously. A couple of people tried to find a campsite for me, eventually directing me to a disused pub, where I was told I could camp behind it. I was riding through the town, when I heard someone shout, 'Thats a nice bike you have!'. I stopped and chatted to Paddy who tried to find a place for me to sleep. Without success, he then invited me to stay at his place. We rode back to Croft-on-Tees on a deserted road as the traffic police had closed the road following the accident. Paddy and I chatted late into the night. I left early the next morning. Paddy, I hope you manage to sort things out and achieve your dream.
Mileage today: 56.49; Total mileage: 159.3 Feet climbed: 1772

2014-04-25: I left Paddy's place just after 8 am. It was a cold and damp start with rain starting to fall as soon as I set off. The traffic was rather busy as I went through
Darlington on the A167, heading towards Durham. I stopped off at a McDonalds to go to the toilet and have something to eat. I also tried to use their internet, but was not very successful. I soldiered on until Durham and turned off into the city, looking for their information centre. I dont seem to have much luck finding the information centres, because after finding myself getting dizzy yet once again, I left the city and headed off to Chester-le-Street. I stopped off at Sainsbury to buy some lunch. When I reached Chester-le-Street, I spotted the Cestria bicycle shop. There, I asked for directions to a camp site. Stuart, the makula boss, went onto the internet and directed me to one just out of town. When I found it, I was directed to the camping area and was bitterly disappointed as there was just a portaloo and a cold water tap; no hot water nor showers. As it was still raining, I decided to pitch my tent there. I had just taken the tent out of the bag, when there was a lull in the rain. Quick as a flash, I erected the tent and moved my kit inside. Just as well, because the heavens opened for the rest of the day! At about 20:30, when, again, there was a break in the rain, I went to the pub next door for a meal - no food, I was told. If it is rain tomorrow, no let me change that, I think tomorrow I will press on to Newcastle and find more suitable accommodation closer to the ferry terminal.
Mileage today: 33.36; Total mileage: 192.6; Feet climbed: 1775

2014-04-26: It rained the whole night, sometimes coming down in torrents. I did not get wet, fortunately. I packed early and left the camp site after trying to dry my tent. I had to pack it away with the groundsheet and fly-sheet dripping wet. I rode through Chester-le-Street and stopped off at a bakery and bought some sausage rolls and pasties for breakfast. On the way to Newcastle, I saw a gazebo in a park; I stopped there for breakfast. Sufficiently satisfied, I continued on my way. The weather was rather kind; overcast, with the rain holding off the whole day. I entered Newcastle and followed the A167 into the city centre. From there, I decided to head towards the terminal where the ferry leaves. I followed the Hadrians cycle route until North Shields and enquired about changing my ferry ticket to a day earlier. As the cost was exorbitant, I sought a B&B from the information office. They told me where to go and gave me a cycle map of the area. While cresting the hill near the ruins of the Castle at Tynemouth, two other touring cyclists approached from the other side. Nic and Kate are the first touring cyclists I've come across. They are going to cycle up to Norway on a 6 month journey - may they travel safely.
I found the B&B, The Sandsides Guest House with Alan waiting for me. The is such a lovely guest house run by Alan and Barbara, no wonder it is recommended and accredited by the AA. Alan helped me hang up my wet tent to dry; he even brought it in while I was out having a meal. I managed to do some washing of a couple of small items.
Mileage today: 28.52; Total mileage: 221.1; Feet climbed: 1270

2104-04-27: I had a very good night sleep and in the morning, I had a hearty breakfast. I packed my bags and Alan assisted me in getting things ready. I left at 10:10 on a wet and cold day and cycled slowly to the ferry departure point. I stopped at a bus stop on the way for some shelter, over looking a lovely beach. There was a lot of activity in spite of the 5.5°C temp. I even saw two bathers come out of the sea just clad in costumes. I stopped at a shopping centre next to the ferry terminal to dry out and have something warm to drink and use their wi-fi, which did not seem to work. This is not the first time I have not been able to get the wi-fi connected. Cyclists were allowed to board first; as I was fiRst in the queue, I was first on the ferry. My cabin was on the 9th deck and was nice and comfy. I went and had dinner and then went to sleep as I was tired.
Mileage today: 7.59; Total mileage: 228.8; Feet climbed: 294


No comments:

Post a Comment