Tuesday 10 December 2013

An Outline of the Route


On a journey such as this, nothing is definite. There are a number of factors that can affect the choice of route taken. The most obvious are visas, political stability, health and financial circumstances, and also the whim of the traveler. However, a basic plan needs to be in place before one sets off.

My basic plan consists of starting off from England. I would then go over to Europe and travel around as much as I can on the type of visa I am given. I will then head off east, possibly keeping fairly close to the Danube river; deviating every now and again as I wish.

Transversing the middle east region will possibly prove to be the hardest section of the trip. Visa restrictions and political unrest will add a bit of complexity. By the time I approach this region, I hope that the atmosphere will have improved and I can travel unimpeded through this beautiful area. I have a wish to travel through Iran and into Pakistan and then along the Karakoram Highway and through China.

My route through south east Asia is not fixed but will be dictated to partly by the seasons and partly by my senses. There are many fabulous countries that are cyclist and tourist friendly, it will be a pity to rush through this part of the planet.

Australia is such a vast and varied country that any pre-planned route could easily be discarded. Tasmania and New Zealand are best savoured slowly, as long as the weather plays its part.

Traveling through Patagonia and the Carretera Austral are also very dependent on the seasons. The rest of South and Central America have their own challenges, not least being the quality of the surfaces of the roads. The political climate seems to be softening, although this could change at the whim of a dictator. Hopefully, the situation continues to improve.

Experiencing what North America has to offer can take from six months or six years; a dish best served and tasted at a leisurely pace.

Before embarking on the journey home along the eastern seaboard of Africa, a return visit to my sister in England would be warranted. This chapter of my travels will be concluded with my returning back to South Africa.

Many factors can alter these plans; but whatever happens, I intend to enjoy myself  and experience as much as possible along the way. If I should pass you, please doff your hat and remember, a cup of tea will not go amiss.

1 comment:

  1. Pete. Really wish you well and hope the experiance is enjoyable and all that you have hoped for. Go for it buddy.

    ReplyDelete