Saturday 31 May 2014

Belgium

2014-05-10. I woke up this morning at Camping Holsteenbron and it started to rain. As the internet is good, I went on there and did a lot of catching up. Looks as if the rain is set in for the day; as this is probably the best camp site I've stayed at, I dont mind spending another night here. It rained solidly until about 15:00. When it stopped, I hopped on the bike and went into town looking for a shop; found one quite quickly in the rain! I decided to try out their kip curry - very delicious.
Kilometers travelled: 15.37; Total kilometers travelled: 1082; Meters climbed: 58;


2014-05-11: The night was dry; when I woke up at six, I packed before any rain come down. I hit tbe road at about 8. I travelled through various forests that reminded me of Den Haag. I made good progress despite a very strong headwindheadwind while riding along the canal. I crossed a bridge over the canal near Maastricht that included a WWII memorial about a description from a German soldier describing the torment on both sides. While riding through a little village on the outskirts of Maastricht, a person saw me riding and called me over. Jimmy and Rob, both cyclist, were having a drink. They asked me where I was going and why. I told them and that I was looking for a campsite. Jimmy said he knows of one and I must follow him; first, he wants to finish his beer and he got me a cup of tea. I took out my map and asked where exactly we were; just then a gent in uniform came over and we chatted. He plays in a brass band and today they were commemorating the 74th anniversary of the start of WWII in Belgium. On the way to Jimmy's campsite, we stopped at a commemorative function where there were a number of people who had relatives involved in the war, including a couple whose father was shot down over the village. Well, Jimmy's campsite was wildcamping in a reserve. I made a fire as he couldn't get it started. I decided then that this was not the place to spend the night. He showed me a cave where Rembrandts were supposedly hidden during the war. I am spending the night at the Mooi Bemelen campsite between Maastricht and Aachen; it is blowing a gale outside and is freezing cold. Just the weather to really give my tent a good test. Oh, by the way, the hills are just starting!
Kilometers travelled: 61.35; Total kilometers travelled: 1143; Meters climbed: 597;

2014-05-12: The night was hell! The wind blew the whole time threatening to blow my tent away. Credit must go to the tent for not ripping! I packed up early and set off at about 8:45. I picked up the route from Masstricht to Aachen and followed it all the way. It was fairly uneventful with a bit of rain adding to the wind. However, the hills have arrived! Just before Aachen, I stopped off at the Information Office to get a map only to find it closed; why do towns bother with an information office as most off them appear to be a waste of time and money. Just outside Aachen, I crossed into Germany, my 4th country. I picked up the road to Monschau and followed the highway for quite a while. It was raining on and off, but the wind was consistent. I then crossed a cycle path that used an old railway line. I hopped onto this only to find that I climbed continuously for over 12k's will absolutely no respite! On top of this, it started to rain and get very cold with the wind - probably not surprising as I was in the mountains. What the authorities have done, is at every town there is a name plaque of the town, a la a station name. At Monschau, I decided to look for a campsite. Enquiries told me it was just out of town. I went into town and appeared to lose all the altitude I had gained over the past few k's. However, when I entered the town, the sun came out and what a beautiful town; it is worth the visit just to look at it. I found the campsite and am camping right next to a stream; it reminds me of a scene in the Alps. I think it is going to be cold tonight! Today was a long day with lots of climbing.
Kilometers travelled: 84.23; Total kilometers travelled: 1228; Meters climbed: 1046;

No comments:

Post a Comment